Monday, July 20, 2009

Baja: Edge of Control

I bought this Friday for $20, I wasn't sure that it was worth buying but I do like driving games especially off-road games and I picked it up. It didn't get very great reviews but I really enjoyed it. A problem with the reviews are that some people may play this game like a road racer but you must play an off-road game very differently and some of the videos I've seen can attest to that. If you like off-road games then get this game.

The only thing I don't like about the game is that the force feedback is really weak. I am using a racing wheel and there is tension but I don't feel all the bounces like I do in Dirt. Now there are a lot more bounces in Baja so maybe it would cause vibration overload, while that extra feeling is missing the actual races are quite fun. There is more of a sim feeling in Baja and my first 3 races I came in 5th or 6th out of 8. You are driving a VW bug which is a pretty weak vehicle but I was able to earn some XP and was able to upgrade my vehicle to make it more competitive. The AI is pretty tough but once you put some time into the game the races have a real sense of pressure of trying not to be careless or bump into other vehicles.

The graphics are okay and do a good job and I haven't noticed any pop-in. There are 4 camera angles but it defaults to the first camera before every race so I do have to change to the hood view everytime which is a little annoying. The are some races that can take 4 hours to complete so I am looking forward to those as the courses so far have been difficult, fun, and varied.

No comments:

Post a Comment