Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Destiny Beta, Game Collection, Pinnacle Speakers, Sale


Destiny Beta (PS4)

I got into the beta for being an IGN Prime member and I spent a couple of hours in the beta and really enjoyed what I played.  I leveled my character to level 4 which is half way of what the full beta provides and I want to go back and play some more but I'm holding off since I don't want to spoil the full game. 

It's what you expect from the makers of Halo, a sci-fi fps shooter, but it's mixed with an MMO, so maybe it's the MMO I've been wanting to play. In the areas I played there were about 6 other people around but we didn't interact except we shot a few common enemies.   What I liked best about the combat was the enemy AI, I was able to flank the AI, they didn't have magnetic eyes that follow you around and through obstacles. The enemies also used cover effectively which is what I want to see in this new console generation.    There is a ton of weapon and armor upgrades and you can take raw materials to a certain person and he will create a new piece of equipment for you. 

You have a companion cube that leads you around who is narrated by Tywin Lannister, he is like Cortana from Halo.  Once you've completed a couple of story missions in an area you can go back and complete other generic quests that felt like other general MMO quests.   There are hidden areas in the environment that has some great loot so you do want to explore your surroundings.  There is a main town hub that you can visit that has all the vendors and I saw about 5 people in a circle dancing.  You got to missions in an spacecraft but it's from a 3rd person view and you don't control it, not sure if that's just a beta thing or not. 

I had a great time playing the beta and it got me to pre-order the game which is what a good beta should do. 

Here are 2 beta codes for the PS4 beta.  First come first serve.

9EM2-KFNT-H2DK
AFLL-T3N5-676N

Game Collection

Spent basically the entire weekend putting up shelves in my downstairs closet.  It took 5 trips to 4 different Home Depots to get enough shelves to hold all my games.  Thanks to my girlfriend for alphabetizing all the games it took a couple of hours, but it was worth it, and it shows that I have a game addiction problem. 























 Pinnacle Speakers

Hopefully my last major purchase for my media room is complete and I can start enjoying my room without nagging questions about my setup.  I had the Klipsch Icon line of speakers that did great for my smaller room upstairs but once I moved them downstairs they couldn't fill the larger room with sound the way that I wanted.  I'd been looking for speakers for awhile and wasn't sure what I wanted. There isn't a good place that I found to test out different speakers and for the money I was spending that wasn't ideal,  but It did work out for my sub woofer.  I was looking at Woot and saw they had some Pinnacle speakers on sale and some major discounted prices, the ultimate tower speaker had an MSRP of $4000/ speaker.  I looked for reviews but really couldn't find any, I read they sold most of their speakers to pro installers and rarely sold to consumers.  There was one review in Sound & Vision that gave a great review but it wasn't the exact speakers. I passed that first week of sales because there wasn't a center channel on sale but the next week they followed with everything that I needed so I took the plunge.  Shipping was $5 so why not. 

They shipped extremely fast and I had them within 2 days or ordering.  The towers were around 50lb and the center and surround speakers where heave as well which is a good sign for a speaker.  They have a glossy piano black exterior which looks nice provided you don't touch them.  They look great and once I was able to calibrate my setup I was ready for the sound test, I was so tired though from other stuff I had to do that day that I really didn't get to do much, just listen to a couple of songs and a bit of a movie.  I wasn't floored though so I was a little worried. 

I didn't really get to test them out till Friday night and I watched Dredd in 3D and was blown away.  The whole movie experience was one of the best times I've ever had watching a movie.  The 3D was cool and the sound was amazing with the soundtrack thumping away and the surround sounds zooming from the left and right, I felt like I was actually in the action. It was just awesome. 

I still need to do some tweaking but I'm very happy with my new purchase. 
 
Speaker Sale

Really???  I'm trying to sell my old speakers after raving about the new ones?   These are still great speakers but just can't fill up a large room. So if you are in the market or know someone who wants a full 5.1 setup let me know. 

I'd like to sell these together since they are the same family of speakers and go well together.  They are about 3 years old  and in like new condition and I think I have all the original boxes..

2x Klipsch KF-26 Floor Standing 
Klipsch KF-25 Center Channel   
2x Klipsch KF_14 Surround Sound 
Klipsch SW-450 Sub-woofer     

​New Releases​ - A couple of games coming out this week.   My pick is Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, a remake of the great first Oddworld game.

​PC
The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Episode 4 (download - $25) - Waiting for all episodes to be released.
OlliOlli (download) - Bought on the Vita, cool game.
Gods Will Be Watching (download)
Data Hacker: Initiation (download)
Freedom Planet (download)
Halfway (download)
Unrest (download)

PlayStation 4

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty (download - $30)

Xbox 360
The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Episode 4 (download - $25)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Training Lair (download)

PlayStation 3

The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Episode 4 (download - $25)

Wii U

Wii Sports Club
Wooden Sen'SeY (download)
Master Reboot (download)

PlayStation Vita

The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Episode 4 (download - $25)

Nintendo 3DS

Siesta Fiesta (download)

IOS

Hearthstone Expansion

No comments:

Post a Comment