Friday, October 18, 2013

NightHawk Router, Beyond Two Souls

Beyond: Two Souls

I finished the game last week and I enjoyed the entire experience.  There may not have been very much gaming in there but the story and characters were interesting enough to carry me through the whole game.  The writing was decent and the ending wasn't horrible. There are multiple endings, but I'm fine with the story that unfolded from the choices that I made that I don't have any desire to go back or watch the other endings. 

Netgear NightHawk Router

I've been trying to decide if I want to hard wire my devices in the house, I have the 100Mbps plan from Comcast so when I download a file I get around 7M per second so it's blazingly fast, U-verse isn't even close to my speed.  I do have one PC that is my media box and it's connected directly to the router so I would like a decent speed when streaming to my other devices.  I really don't like wires though because of the clutter and would like to go full wireless.  I had a Netgear 600Mps router that has worked pretty well but even with 300Mps adapters I was only getting about 2-3M/s on internet downloading and sometimes only 1-2M for LAN streaming so something wasn't working correctly.  I have some of the Ethernet over electric adapters and they give me a slight speed increase but the devices have to be wired to it so there's clutter.  I went and bought a 600Mps USB network adapter and I was able to get about 4-5M/sec over the internet but that PC was only about 20 feet away with no walls, my other PC which is in the back bedroom is about 50 feet away and the speeds were worse so I hard wired that and just had the cable on the floor.  For testing I bought another 50ft ethernet cable and was going to hook it up then I found out my router didn't support Gigabyte wired connections so I was on the hunt for a new router.

I looked at tons of reviews and finally decided on a Netgear R6300 AC router and it was in stock at Best Buy so I went to get it.  Once I got there I couldn't find it but saw the NightHawk, I did some quick internet searches and thought I'd give it a try, I also bought an AC USB wireless adapter just to see if I could get better speeds.  The setup was very easy and I was impressed with my results.  Using the same 600Mps adapter I was getting 6-7M/sec internet downloading speeds from the PC that was 20ft away.  For the back bedroom PC I used the new AC adapter and I got a tad higher speed so I was pumped.  I then tried moving files between the wireless PC's and got about 15-20M/sec which was great.  The router also lets me plug in a USB 3.0 hard drive so I can use it like a NAS device, I only have a USB 2.0 device connected now and I was getting the same streaming speeds of 20M/sec. 

I'm really impressed with this router and it's taken my desire to hard wire my house away so I recommend this router if you want to go full wireless but are worried about wireless speeds.

Stuff

Watchdogs has been delayed to 2014 which was going to be a huge launch title for the new consoles. 
PC Batman games get rid of GFWL and are cheap on Steam this weekend.  If you haven't played these games you really should.


​New Releases​ - Quite a few releases but not many that I'm interested in.

PC

Airship Dragoon (download - $20)
Bad Hotel (download) - ok.....
Eleusis (download - $15)
Goodbye Deponia (download - $20)  - The first game was pretty good.
Pool Nation (download - $10)
Space Rangers HD: A War Apart (download) - Space Rangers was a pretty unique title. 
Talisman Digital Edition (download - early access) - I have the iPad game and it's pretty fun. 
Tetrobot and Co. (download)
The Stanley Parable (download)

Xbox 360

Cabela's African Adventures
Hexodius (XBLA - $10)
Who Wants to be a Millionaire? (XBLA - $10)
Wipeout: Create & Crash

PlayStation 3

Cabela's African Adventures
The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 - Faith (PSN)
Who Wants to be a Millionaire? (PSN - $10)
Wipeout: Create & Crash

Wii U

Mighty Switch Force 2 (eShop)
Wipeout: Create & Crash

Wii

Cabela's African Adventures
Wipeout: Create & Crash

Vita

Atomic Ninjas (download - $10)
Valhalla Knights 3

Nintendo 3DS

101 Penguin Pets 3D (eShop)
My Vet Practice 3D: In the Country
Snow Moto Racing 3D (eShop)

No comments:

Post a Comment