Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Game Room Setup

Room Setup - I am still in the process of finishing up the room, now it's just tinkering with the following items.

Sound

I bought an SVS sub two weeks ago but for some reason it went out after I hooked up my new rear surround speakers so I had to call the company and they sent out a new amplifier but in the process of installling that I broke one of the driver connectors so I had to wait on that part and it got here Sunday night and I now have 2 subs working and they sound great.

I also got a UMIK-1 microphone which you use with the freeware software REW so that I could test my room acoustics.  The REW software shows the different decibal ratings of each frequency and how much decay each frequency has at your listening position so I could see if my speakers were in the right locations and if I needed acoustical room treatments.  It took a bit to get setup but once that was done the software was easy to use and quickly showed if my speakers were positioned incorrectly.  For example, I had my sub placed in a location where the 50hz freq was quite a bit lower in volume than the other frequencies, I could tell this by playing the bass in Rockband as some notes weren't as loud as others.  It was a subtle distinction that you wouldn't think would matter but once you hear it you always hear it.

Remote

I bought the Harmony Ultimate remote since my equipment was under the staircase I needed a way to control everything without having a line of sight to the equipment.  The remote comes with a hub and 2 IR blasters so I was able to set it up so that I can control every device from my main seat. The remote setup has to be done online and they've made the interface a lot better than the last harmony remote I used.  It can control up to 15 devices and I have 10 used so far.  I still have some tweaking to do but everything works great with the remote.

Arcade Machine

I bought a cool little benchmark case for the PC and it's pretty cool and it powered up the first time after setting it up which doesn't happen that often.  I still have to get all the emulators working and setup the controls and hopefully will have that done by next week.  I need to play some Robotron 2084.

3D

I still haven't used my room very much but I have watched a little bit of 3D content and it's awesome.  Netflix on Comcast now has 3D content available after the agreement and even the HD picture looks improved.  The 3D on my Plasma looked great but there's no comparison versus the projector, 3D is meant for big screens, and 65" is just not quite big enough.  I was able to find some cheap $20 3D glasses that work with my projector so i ordered a few, they are RF glasses so you you can move around and not lose the 3D effect like my IR glasses for  the plasma.  


New Releases - Finally Dark Souls 2 hits PC.

​PC

Dark Souls II (download - $50) -  Can't wait to play, comes out Friday.
Trials Fusion (download - $20) - I liked the previous Trials game but this one hasn't gotten good reviews.
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (download)
FRACT OSC (download)
Perpetuum (download)
Blackwell Epiphany (download)

PlayStation 4

Octodad: Dadliest Catch (download - $15)
Cel Damage HD (download - $10)

Xbox 360

Warface (download - free-to-play)

PlayStation 3

Cel Damage HD (download - $10)

Wii U

LEGO The Hobbit
NES Remix 2 (download - $15)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (download - $7)

Vita

Demon Gaze
The Walking Dead: Season Two (download)
Cel Damage HD (download - $10)

No comments:

Post a Comment