Monday, March 17, 2014

Demon Souls, Titanfall, South Park, New Releases

Demon Souls (PS3)   - Free version from PS+, if you are not a member you really should be.

If you've never played Demon Souls or Dark Souls you really should give the games a try as they are absolutely fantastic action games.  The games are described as difficult but they really aren't, they do expect you to have patience though which most games lack.  These are action games boiled down to the basics, tight controls and deadly enemies where each step needs to be considered carefully.  If you rush into an area, you will die, if you just mash buttons during combat, you will die, if you get cocky, you will die.  I sure wrote die a lot  in the previous sentence and death is a big thing in the game, but death is usually never the games fault, it's something that you did wrong and the game makes you pay for it.

To describe the game this way some people may think the game is a grind but it's probably the most rewarding set of games that I've played.  When I enter a new area and make it to the next checkpoint without dying I literally do a fist pump, or even when I finally beat a boss on the 20th time I feel like I've accomplished something and not many games have I felt this way about.  When I die I know almost immediately what I did wrong and usually can tell before it happens, "I knew I shouldn't have done that.", gets said quite a bit.  After playing for 10 hours and you revisit the first level do not make the mistake of thinking you can breeze through, you can kill them with one hit but if you try and over-extend they can at least inflict major damage so that keeps the games interesting.  Once I get started playing the game it's almost impossible for me to stop there is just something about the games that makes me want to try again after dying or explore a new area, the game is just rewarding.

TitanFall (Xbox One)

I'm up to level 28 and I've only played about 6 hours so the leveling is much faster than COD, or maybe I'm just awesome. (Nope).  I'm playing on the random game option so it rotates between all 5 game modes, I like all the modes even CTF is fun.  I'm getting better at using the Titans so I'm lasting a bit longer in fights.  Last night I was guarding the flag while in a Titan and someone pickup up the flag and they jumped on top of a hanger trying to get away from me and I followed beneath and when he went to jump off I was there blasting him with rockets and machine gun fire, he only thought he got away.  I think I've had about 10 Xbox Record that moments that I want to upload to Youtube so hopefully I'll get that done this week.  It's a good game to spend about an hour with then go on to other things.  I find it less irritating than COD and I seem to stay alive longer and not die 20 times a match I think the most I've died is 14 times in a match and it's usually under 10.  The max level is 50 then you can regen upto 10 times, which has already been done by one gamer playing for over 3 days, some people are crazy.

South Park Stick of Truth (Steam) (17hours)

I finished the game this weekend after 17 awesome hours, it was the perfect length for the game.  The ending hours kept ratcheting up the ante for shock value and the final fight is not indescribable.   The combat was fun all the way through and I never got bored, they kept sending out different enemies throughout the game so it always felt fresh.  The Canada level was really cool and surprising so I won't spoil anything if anyone eventually wants to play the game.   Overall I recommend the game and wish that other licensed properties like the Simpsons can get a game of this caliber

New Releases - Been a pretty good month of releases.  I may pick up inFamous.

PC

Cloudbuilt (download)
Deus Ex: The Fall (download - $10) - iPad game now on the PC.
Luftrausers (download - $10)
Men of War: Assault Squad 2 (download - $35)
Revolution Ace (download)
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (download)  - May pick this up

PlayStation 4

inFamous: Second Son - Graphics look real impressive and I like the previous 2 games.  Releases on Friday.
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
SteamWorld Dig (download - $10) - A good DS game.

Xbox One

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - Campaign is around 3 hours so beware.

Xbox 360

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

PlayStation 3

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster  - Played the origianl FFX and is was pretty funn.
Luftrausers (download - $10) - Lambeer game, they made ridiculous fishing.
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

Wii U
Pure Chess (download - $8)

Vita

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
Luftrausers (download - $10)
Pure Chess (download - $8)
SteamWorld Dig (download - $10)

Nintendo 3DS

Ballpoint Universe: Infinite (download)
Pokémon Battle Trozei (download)
Yumi's Odd Odyssey (download - $30)

No comments:

Post a Comment