Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Edge of Nowhere (Oculus)
  • Insomniac, who made the Ratchet and Clank games, have 3 VR titles in development and since it's from a major developer it feels like a real game and not just a tech demo. 
  • The game is a 3rd person action game and you are positioned behind the character at all times.  
  • It is a seated experience and you play with a controller.  I was playing in my racing chair but moved to my drum throne so that I could easily turn around and look behind me and it made the game and experience so much better. I do suggest sitting in a chair you can swivel around in easily for VR games.  
  • The game is set in the Artic and you are traversing the environment by climbing and avoiding enemies who can only hear you so it felt a bit like the Last of Us. 
  • I've only put in an hour and so far I've enjoyed it, the story is interesting and although the game play is nothing new they do have some supernatural elements which allows them to do some interesting things in VR.  
  • I'm looking forward to their 3rd VR game which is basically a Harry Potter sorcerer battle.  
The Brookhaven Experiment (VIVE)
  • I really like on the rail shooting games but the tech has never been good enough.  I thought the Wii would be perfect but it was never sensitive enough and I could never get the PS3 motion controllers calibrated correctly so that I could look down the sights and hit what I was looking at.  
  • ​I think VR is the perfect tech for this type of game but I'm not sure that I'm ready for it.  
  • ​It isn't quite an on rails shooter but it's close enough.  You start in one location and have to defeat waves of enemies then you move to a different location.  
  • Since you are in the game the creatures are coming in from everywhere and of course they will sneak up on you and I have to admit I did shout out a couple of times.  
  • All levels are at night so you have a flash light that you want to use minimally so more creatures wont appear so you are constantly trying to listen to find out where the creatures are and quickly turning the light on/off.  It's an experience that I did have to take breaks after a level or two.
  • ​There are many different weapons and upgrades and I was happy to get the laser sight.  The shooting feels really good and you can aim down the sight and hit what you are aiming at.  
  • This genre has some great potential and I wish they would port the House of the Dead and the Resident Evil shooter games ​as they were great.  
​Assetto Corsa​ (Oculus) 
  • Finally got this working in VR.  When I first tried it I didn't know that the menu's don't show up in VR so I thought it wasn't working.   
  • I tweaked a few graphics settings and the game really looks great in VR, so much better than Project Cars.
  • The detail of the cars is amazing.  It's fun just sitting in the car looking around the cabin.  I tried an open wheel car and just watched the tires and the wheel components move as I turned the wheel.  
  • ​In VR you also get a better feeling for how fast you are moving so it makes braking and hitting the apex of a turn much easier.
  • I did notice a couple of times though that I felt a bit queasy.  When I setup the resolution it only went up to 60hz so that could be the issue.  I need to run FRAPS to see what my FPS is.  
  • Dirt Rally is supposed to have it implemented sometime soon and I can't wait.  Racing in Vr is going to be awesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment