Monday, July 13, 2015

Batman Arkham Knight, Home Theater, Move Reviews

Batman Arkham Knight
  • I caved and bought the PS4 version. After GCU and reward points it was $14 so not too bad.
  • The game runs smoothly and looks better than the PC version, wow really stinks to say that.  
  • The biggest complaint about the game is the inclusion of the batmobile, so far I've enjoyed using it although it is hard to control until you get used to it.  I was crashing all over town and doing more damage than the bad guys. 
  • The story has been real interesting and they did an awesome thing with a character that you thought was dead that brought a smile to my face when it happened. 
  • In the past games you were overwhelmed with Riddler trophies scattered throughout the city, but so far I"ve only come across 3 of them in the world, I think I'm still in the tutorial levels. 
  • The combat seems a bit slower and more deliberate than in Origins, it feels like you have more time to counter attacks and I'm on the hardest difficulty.  
  • As for the PC version they stopped selling it digitally which is a good thing.  They released a patch that supposedly fixed the missing textures and AO effects but it still doesn't look as good as the PS4 and the big patch that fixes stuttering doesn't have a release date.
 
Home Theater Update
  • A month ago I sat on my couch to hear how different my setup sounded from where I usually sit and I was very disappointed. The sound was awful, I didn't feel enveloped in the sound and the bass was severely lacking.
  • I always wanted a second sub and this confirmed that I needed one.  So I ordered the exact same model and now needed to find the best placement of both subs, which was not in the locations that I had ran wires.
  • I had to get out my special microphone and run the REW software. The software measures the loudness of the different frequencies of your speakers so you can see where you have peaks and lulls.   I first tried placing the subs where I had ran my wires and when I measured each sub individually the charts looked good but as soon as I tried both of them together there was a huge 30db lull at the 50hz range so they were cancelling one another out.
  • After 4 hours I finally found the best spot which was in the middle of the room along the wall on opposite sides. The bass sounds awesome now and the sound is bit smoother at the couch than where I usually sit.
  • I can really tell a difference now with the two subs, listening to music is a joy as the sound stage and the bass are mixed perfectly together.
  • I also went ahead and got a new receiver, Denon 4520CI, since my old one was hit by lightening.  This one is their last generation flagship model which I got a great deal on. 
  • With this receiver I can run a full 9.2 setup so I went ahead and hooked up my 2 front height speakers. I'm using some older speakers until the ones that I want go on sale so I'm not sure that I'm getting the full benefit from these extra speakers. I hope to spend some more time testing them this weekend. 
  • If any of you have a sound system that you want me to help tune just let me know and I'll bring over my mic and laptop. Speaker placement can make a huge difference in the sound of your room.
Movie Reviews
Unbroken - A great movie about an amazing human being. 
The Wedding Ringer - I was really surprised by this movie.  It was actually funny and not too vulgar.
The Judge - Maybe a bit slow but I enjoyed the movie and thought the acting was really good. 
Seventh Son - Had some decent special effects and Jeff Bridges was great.
WIld Card - Another Jason Statham movie that was just ok. 
The Kingsmen - Decent movie with some cool action sequences but not as good as the previews.
Birdman -  Strange, strange movie that I really didn't enjoy. 
Focus - Ehh. Predictable and skippable, at least there was a pretty girl to stare at the whole movie.
Last Knights - Not worth your time.

New Releases - A couple of cool games coming out this week.  Card Hunter on Steam, God of War 3 Remaster on PS4 (I really liked that game so I'm debating picking that one up.  EA Golf is back with Rory on the cover and it only includes 8 real courses and 4 fantasy so not many to choose from compared to the last game. 

Guild of Dungeoneering is my pick of the week, it's a rogue like where you build your own dungeon and enemy placement using cards that you collect. 

PC

No Time To Explain Remastered (download)
Card Hunter (download - free-to-play)
Guild of Dungeoneering (download - $15)
Fighties (download)
Drift 84 (download)
AR-K: The Great Escape (download)
Anti-Opoly (download)
SEEP Universe (download)
Axis Football 2015 (download)
DGU (download)
A Mass of Dead (download)
AntharioN (download)
Odallus: The Dark Call (download)
Luckslinger (download)
Legions of Steel (download)
Biodrone Battle (download)
Niko: Through the Dream (download)
Interstellaria (download)
Cast of the Seven Godsends (download - $7)
Aberoth (download - free-to-play)

PlayStation 4

EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA Tour
Godzilla
God of War III Remastered
Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (download)
The Fall (download)

Xbox One

EA SPORTS Rory McIlroy PGA Tour
No Time to Explain (download)
The Fall (download)

PlayStation 3

Godzilla (download)
Monster Jam Battlegrounds (download)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment