Monday, August 1, 2016

Headphone Extravaganza, Witcher 3, Diablo 3


Witcher 3 (Steam)
  • I finally beat the main campaign after 145 hours so now off to play the DLC which is another 30-40. 
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls(Xbone)
  • Been playing this on the Xbox one with Angel and Mitch and having a great time.
  • The game is still a blast to play and they are still adding more and more to this game with a new patch hitting very soon.
  • Yes I bought a copy for each platform, it's just that good.  

Headphones

I've been trying to find the perfect headphone for work and I've tried quite a few of them and I think I've finally found the one for me.  At first I was looking at headphones that included a mic so that I could also take work calls along with listening to music.  The only issue was that most of those headsets weren't that great at playing music.  I tried headphones with the inline mic in the cord but could never get them to work with my laptop.  I finally tried the ModMic which is a separate mic that you can attach to any headset using magnets, and it's the perfect solution. A mic that is easily removable and has great sound.  Highly Recommended. 

Below is a list of headphones that I tried and a mini review of each.  All but the gaming headphones were tested using a usb DAC/AMP, the Mayflower 02 which is a great neutral amp that works without drivers on any windows PC.  

Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 Second Generation

  • After a couple of years looking I finally found the best headphone for work along with the ModMic.
  • The design looks really nice and the ear pads are comfortable out of the box.
  • The sound is amazing and the bass is tuned perfectly.  
  • These are the best closed back headphones that I've ever tried.  
  • Each little detail of the music is brought out making listening through my music collection a new experience.  
  • I'm not a hardcore Audiophile but once you hear music with these on you will do a double take as you hear parts of songs that you've never heard before and it's an amazing experience.  
  • The included cord which has an inline mic with phone controls is not that great of quaility so I did upgrade the cord for about $4. 
​​
AKG 712 Pro
  • These are open-backed headphones so they leak out sound if you crank them up so not useful in an office setting.  
  • They are extremely comfortable with huge memory foam ear pads.  
  • They do require an amp to get the full sound experience, the bass is not as pronounced just using an iPhone.  
  • These are my preferred headphones while at home when I can really crank them. 
Bose QuietComfort 25
  • The best noise cancelling headphones, I can mow with these things on and not have to blast the music to extreme levels.
  • Requires a AAA battery to power the noise cancellation and the battery life is around 30 hours.  It won't auto turn off if you stop playing music so if you forget to turn off the noise cancellation the battery will run out.  
  • They are very very comfortable and fit well around my ears so that I can barely tell that they are on.
  • The sound is great when you have the noise cancellation engaged but as soon as you turn it off the sound is very diminished and loses it's punch so you constantly need to have it on.  Which was an issue for me.  
  • The noise cancellation causes pressure on my ears so after awhile it becomes bothersome.  
  • If you travel a lot or work in a noisy office then you should invest in these but do be aware you will have people walk up on you without noticing and may give you a bit of a startle.  
Turtle Beach 240X
  • Wireless Xbox and PC headphones with a mic.
  • I use these at home when playing mutil-player games.
  • The sound is pretty good and the mic works very well.
  • The default ear pads are uncomfortable so I did buy some larger pads and it helped quite a bit so I can wear them for about 4-5 hours without discomfort.  
Audio Technica - M50X
  • These are highly recommended as the starting Audiophile headphones and they don't disappoint.  
  • The sound is amazing and packs quite a bit of bass punch  
  • The only drawback for me was that they are not very comfortable.  The stock pads did not go fully over my ears even though they are supposed to.  I did buy some larger ear pads but they took away quite a bit of the bass and they didn't quite sound the same so I took them off.
Harman Kardon 
  • Bluetooth headphones that can also  be used wired as well.   
  • The ear pads are rectangle shaped and really don't fit my ears very well so it would get uncomfortable after 30 minutes.  
  • The outer material of the cans are made out of metal so anytime my cord would brush against it I could hear it even while playing music.
  • The sound was very good though and there wasn't much of a loss when wireless.  
VModa 100
  • Really cool looking headphones and built extremely well. 
  • These are "bass head" headphones and you really do feel your music while listening to them.  
  • Most of the music I listen to is Rock Guitar Instrumentals and some classical pieces so the bass was a bit too much for my tastes.
  • They were also not that comfortable,you can buy some larger pads made directly by the company for $20 but I thought at the price they should both be included or at least be able to pick which version you want. 
Sony Pulse Elite Headphones 
  • Works with PS4 and PC wireless with a dongle. 
  • The mic is inside the headphone, but it still works great.
  • The default ear pads are again uncomfortable.  
  • When using on PS4 some games have special settings that you download to the headphones which is a cool idea and they do make the sound much different.

No comments:

Post a Comment